GIANT PRETZELS WITH BLUE LABEL MARIE CRUMB
Get in the swing of things with this Festive Season recipe for Giant Pretzels with a chocolate drizzle and a BAKERS Blue Label® Marie biscuits crumb. Add a sprinkling of edible gold dust for some seasonal sparkle!
1 cup + ⅛ cup warm milk
2 ½ tbsp instant yeast
3 tbsp icing sugar
¼ cup sunflower oil
3 cups flour
¼ cup bicarbonate of soda for boiling
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
100g dark chocolate
50g fresh cream
10 Marie Biscuits, finely crushed
- In a small bowl, combine the warm milk, yeast and icing sugar. Stir this all together and leave the mixture to sit for +- 5mins to allow the yeast to activate.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the mixture to a large bowl along with the sunflower oil, and a cup of flour at a time, mix until a dough begins to form. You can either carry on mixing with the dough hook for about 20mins on medium-high, or knead the mixture by hand. You will know that your dough is ready when you can stretch it and it doesn’t tear.
- Once your dough is ready, lightly grease a large bowl with some sunflower oil so that your dough doesn’t stick while proofing. Add your dough to the bowl and cover with cling film. Place the bowl in a warm place for 1 ½ hours so that it can rise.
- Once your dough has risen, preheat your oven to 220 C and line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- Divide your dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long thin rope, but not too thin so that it becomes fragile. Make a U shape with the rope. Grading each end, twist them over each other twice and press the ends into the bottom of the pretzel, using a dab of water to seal them in place. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Once all your pretzels are ready. Fill a large pot halfway with water and add your bicard. Allow this to come to a steady boil.
- One by one, add your pretzel to the boiling water for only 30 seconds. Then remove it a place on your prepared baking sheet.
- Once you have boiled all your pretzels, place them into your preheated oven for 10 mins until golden brown. Be careful not to burn them.
- Combine your sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. One by one, dip each of your pretzels into the mixture until the tops are evenly coated. You only need to coat one side. Set these aside.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, heat your chocolate and cream together in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir until the chocolate and cream are well incorporated into each other and you have a thick glossy mixture.
- Take a teaspoon and drizzle the chocolate sauce over the pretzels. Don’t waoory if you don’t use all the chocolate, the remaining bit can be used as a dipping sauce afterwards.
- Sprinkles your crushed Marie Biscuits over the pretzels and they are ready to be devoured. These are best eaten immediately.