GINGER & ORANGE CAKE WITH HONEY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Spoil your loved ones with a delicious dessert by using BAKERS Ginger Nuts® in this delectable recipe for a Ginger and Orange Cake, topped with honey cream cheese frosting and the fresh fruit of your choice. Yum!
Makes 1 cake
Ginger & Orange Cake Ingredients:
150 g BAKERS Ginger Nuts® , lightly crushed
180 g cake flour
190 g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Moires candied citrus zest
60 g unsalted butter
1 large eggs
100 ml buttermilk or 100 ml milk mixed with 1 tablespoon white vinegar
65 ml canola oil
60 g fresh orange juice
Honey Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
250 g full fat cream cheese
60 g unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
Method for Ginger & Orange Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 oC
- Grease two 15cm baking pans and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, oil and orange juice until combined.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, crushed Bakers Ginger Nuts® biscuits, baking powder, baking soda, salt and citrus zest. Beat on low speed for two to three minutes with a mixer.
- Add the butter and beat on low for another two minutes. Increase the speed to medium and beat for a further two minutes until the butter is properly incorporated. Scape down the sides of the bowl.
- While beating the mixture on a medium-low speed, slowly add your wet ingredients. Allow to mix together until smooth.
- Divide your mixture equally among the prepared tins.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are ready, remove from the oven and plan on a rack to cool in their tins for ten minutes.
Method for Honey Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and beat on medium high until fully incorporated.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Place your first cake layer down.
- Spread a decent amount of the honey cream cheese frosting across the top of the cake, follow by the next layer of cake.
- Cover your cake in the remaining frosting and top with some fresh figs or other fresh fruit of choice.
- The addition of some gold balls and golf leaf add a nice sophisticated touch.