LEMON & COCONUT MERINGUE SQUARES
These Lemon & Coconut Meringue Squares have to be on your baking list today, this weekend, and forever! Super delicious and easy-to-make, this dessert is bursting with the fresh taste of lemons, thanks to the Tennis® Lemon flavoured biscuit base, which perfectly complements the lemon curd!
Makes 9 big squares.
1 x 200 g packet of Tennis® Lemon Flavoured biscuits
100 g butter, melted
1 cup lemon curd
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoon flour
2 egg whites
3 tablespoon water
160 ml (2/3) cup caster sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- Break the Tennis® Lemon Flavoured biscuits into crumbs by hand or by using a food processor and mix in the melted butter until well combined.
- Spread the crumb mixture across the base of the tin and lightly press to compact. Mix the lemon curd, coconut and flour until well combined. Spread this over the biscuit base and bake for 20 minutes until starting to go golden. Remove and chill completely (it does not have to be totally firm)
- To make the Italian meringue, whisk the egg whites with an electric stand mixer until soft peak stage. Slowly add half the sugar one tablespoon at a time and beat until glossy.
- Heat the water, remaining sugar in a small pot and bring to the boil. Make sure all the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is bubbling. Pour this hot syrup into the meringue mixture while the beater is still running in a slow steady stream. Continue to beat the meringue for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Pile the meringue onto the cooled lemon bars and singe the edges with a blowtorch to brown (optional).