MALVA PUDDING SQUARES
Celebrate your proud South African heritage with a delightful home-baked twist this September with this recipe for Malva Pudding Squares, which are made using BAKERS Ginger Nuts® biscuits!
For the cake:
1 x 200 g packet of BAKERS Ginger Nuts®
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp smooth apricot jam
1 cup flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vinegar
1 cup milk
For the sauce:
½ cup cream
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease or line a 20cm x 20cm square baking pan with baking paper. Bash the biscuits in a ziplog bag with a rolling pin until you get a rough crumble (with a few bigger pieces).
- Beat the egg, sugar and jam with an electric mixer on high for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, bicarb and ginger. Measure out the milk and add the vinegar to it.
- Whilst the mixer is still going, alternate between adding the flour and the milk in parts until it’s well combined.
- By hand, fold the Ginger Nut biscuits through the batter and allow this to sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Empty the batter into a greased or lines baking dish and cover with foil and bake for 45 mins.
- The pudding is ready when it has an even golden brown colour over the top.
- To make the sauce melt all the sauce ingredients in a pot on the stove until it bubbles for a minute or two and pour this over the pudding as soon as it comes out the oven.