MINI NO-BAKE MILK TARTS
Celebrate your South African heritage with something extra special this Heritage Day! Try this easy no-bake recipe for Mini Milk-Tarts, using BAKERS Tennis® biscuits!
Makes 12 mini milk tarts.
300 g Tennis Biscuits
150 g butter, melted
700 ml full cream milk
1 tin condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
2 eggs, separated
50 g cornstarch
50 ml water
Pinch of salt
Cinnamon, to decorate
- Break the Tennis biscuits into fine crumbs by hand or by using a food processor and mix in the melted butter until well combined.
- Line the base and sides of 12 x 8cm individual tart cases with the biscuit crumbs and press to compact. Place in the fridge or freezer to set while you make the filling.
- In a medium sized pot, heat the milk, condensed milk and vanilla over a medium until boiling point (make sure you stir until the condensed milk is dissolved).
- While that is heating up, separate the eggs and whisk the eggs whites to soft peak in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch, water and salt.
- When the milk is at boiling point take it off the heat and allow it to cool for 3 minutes. Add the egg yolk mixture slowly while whisking vigorously all the time. Return the pot to a low heat and continue to whisk constantly until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg whites to the milk mixture and whisk for about 2 more minutes until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the lined pastry cases and allow to cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge to set completely.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.