SAVOURY DIGESTIVE TART
Dust your dough with finely ground BAKERS® Digestives. In presentation form, completed by the filling of choice, these tarts will have your guests wondering at the extra dimension in the crust.
Makes 12 – 15
300 g cake flour
200 g BAKERS® Digestives biscuits, finely powdered
250 g butter, cut into 1cm cubes
125 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
70 – 80 ml cold water
flour, for dusting
baking paper and rice for blind baking
seasoned chunky cottage cheese with
salmon and avocado
biltong and sweet piquant peppers
roast vegetables and Parmesan
roasted cherry tomatoes and basil
- Use the pastry immediately or freeze for future use.
- Garnish the tarts with micro herbs and serve with a herb salad.
- Small individual tarts can be served as part of a snack platter or made as a single portion and served as a light lunch or breakfast.
- Pastry can be rolled out on a floured surface and used as a base for quichés or savoury tarts.
- Pre-heat oven to 200˚C.
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and set aside.
- Add biscuits to a food processor and process until a fine crumb, add butter and mature cheddar cheese to food processor and pulse until mixed into coarse crumbs.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, and pulse food processor until ball of dough is formed.
- Using your fingertips, press the dough into the tart cases (dipping your fingertips into flour will make sure your fingertips don’t stick to the pastry).
- Line tart cases with baking paper and fill each one with rice or blind baking beans and bake for 10 – 15 minutes, remove from the oven and remove the rice/ blind baking beans.
- Return the pastry cases to the oven for 5 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- Once tarts have been removed from the oven, allow to cool before removing from tart cases and filling.
- Prepare fillings.
- Spoon fillings into pastry cases and serve immediately.
Download Step by Step Instructions
No translation available at the moment