STRAWBERRY CREAM SMORES
Summer is sweet and nothing beats a classic summertime dessert like the ever-popular South African favourite – smores! With seemingly limitless possibilities when it comes to flavours, smores are a truly tasty treat for summer afternoons spent with family and friends!
Portion 12 smores
1 (200g) packet BAKERS Red Label® Strawberry Cream biscuits
3 leaves of gelatin, soaked in water until needed
1 cup glucose syrup, halved
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup icing sugar, mixed with 1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup white chocolate, melted
*Candy thermometer is needed
- Lightly coat a 20 x 20 cm baking tin with non stick spray, and lightly dust with a spoonful of the corn starch and icing sugar mixture and set aside.
- Separate the Red Label® Strawberry Cream biscuits and scrape out the strawberry cookie cream into a bowl. You should get about 1/2 cup of cookie cream from 1 packet. Gently melt the cookie cream in the microwave, taking care not to burn, and set aside.
- Drain the soaked gelatin and gently melt in the microwave. Combine the melted gelatin and half of the glucose syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and turn the mixture on low.
- Meanwhile in a medium sized pot, combine the remaining glucose syrup, water and sugar and bring to a boil. Gently swirl the pot to dissolve the sugar and continue to boil until the sugar syrup reaches a temperature of 110°C. Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour the hot sugar mixture into the bowl with the sugar syrup and gelatin and turn the speed to medium for 5 minutes. Turn the speed slightly higher for further 5 minutes and then to the highest speed for a further 2 minutes. At this stage you mixture should have tripled in volume and have a light and fluffy texture.
- Using a metal spoon, quickly mix in your melted cookie cream and immediately pour into your prepared baking tin.
- Dust with remaining icing sugar and corn starch mixture and set aside for 8 hours or overnight.
- Once the marshmallows are set, cut into 12 equal sized marshmallow squares and sandwich between your separated Red Label® biscuits along with a teaspoon of melted white chocolate.
- For added decadence and classic flavour, use a tong to hold the smores over a hot fire to lightly toast before eating.